Tuesday, October 7, 2008

New Project

I've been looking at a new project for some time now, the seven is as good as its ever going to get, the wiring is now perfect, the engine rebuilt, the suspension sorted, and the dashboard looking good. The body work is a bit tatty and could do with a respray, but there isn't much more I can do to improve the look and feel of the car greatly, so its time to start enjoying the driving, and start another technical project. I have considered a number of options which I have considered, discussed in more detail below.

TVR Tuscan Speed 6
When these first came out I thought they were horrible, then I actually saw one and thought, 'oh its not so bad after all.' One went passed me on the M6 I guess pretty much at V-Max and it sounded good and i thought, 'Actually, its quite nice.' Then I had a go in one, and I came out shaking with a grin from ear to ear, and decided 'Its one of the best cars I've ever driven.' However, its a TVR, so it isn't cheap to begin with, (But hey, 0-60 in four seconds, 180ish vmax) but its still a TVR, and I do not have a spare tow vehicle.


Also, for that kind of money you can buy a second hand DB7, and lets face it, I'd rather be James bond, even if I am getting a tow home, than some bloke in a rattly sounding sports car. In the end I decided to look for some crashed ones, and whilst they come up, the work involved doesn't interest me all that much. I can't spray paint to save myself, and I don't really have the patience for sanding down bits of fiber glass, so I'd have to spend quite a lot of cash repairing one. So that idea is out until I get some tax refunded to me. Insurance was quite cheap though at 350Euro/yr, and road tax is cheapish since its still a lightweight car. But right now, its just not going to happen.

Older DB7

Its a DB7, I can pretend to be James bond, and for under 20kGBP who wouldn't buy one. Then I decided that really I'd only be happy with a DBS, or maybe a vantage, but really, its a DBS or nothing. So I guess I'll have to work a bit longer for that one. Besides, I'm too young for an Aston, and it would get keyed if I parked outside my house for more than 30 seconds, if the F430 or the Maserati Gran Sport parked nearby are anything to go by, the badge wouldn't last a week before it gets stolen either.

Sports Coupe/Roadster/GT Car

Did consider Porsche boxer for a few seconds, but everybody has one these days and they are plain boring, I have an MX5 as my daily driver, and a Seven for the weekends, I want something that is different, much more raw than an every day sports car. The MX5 is pretty soft, I don't want any real creature comforts in this car, and I want something I can get my hands dirty with.

R1 Powered Mini Van

Quite like the idea of a van, mainly because it would be a bit of a street sleeper, and still practical (2 seats, plenty of parts hauling space.) easy to fix, and very, very good fun. In the end the lack of decent quality van shells (In the NL people rip out the van part and turn it into the estate.) and I'm not sure if I have the determination and sado-masochistic tendencies required for patching up decaying mini shells. There are a couple of good R1 conversions though, some even have a decent reverse which originally put me off.

These also get really expensive over time, as lets face it if your going to tune a mini with an R1, you need to go whole hog. The outside should stay stock, however you need some serious brakes, updated suspension, steering. I'd also want a trick interior, then of course you need to shed weight big time, so that means Perspex windows, lots of fiber glass. Excellent fun, but not what I'm currently looking for.

Space Framed Imp


Another street sleeper, subtle on the outside, rocket on the inside, but would have to be much, much faster than standard, and space framed imps are like hens teeth.

Morris Minor


I am in complete awe of the beardmore brothers, one of my favorite British cars, have been considering fiat twin cam conversion, or perhaps VAG Turbo conversion, this is quite likely to happen as a side project I think. I like the idea of doing a seriously custom Minor, possibly space frame, but more likely just lots of chopping of the original chassis.

Kit Car


Not another Seven, when my current one rots, or gets bent, I'll buy an MNR, its that simple. However there are plenty of other kits which I like. Ultima - lovely, but over budget for me, cobra - dream car, but V8's are expensive to run, and lets face it, a pinto powered cobra isn't a cobra. I wanted something full bodied, so Fury, Phoenix, Ginetta, there was loads to choose from.

I looked at quite some detail at the Ginetta, Fury, and Phoenix. The Ginetta was a bit too plug and play for my liking and in the end it came down to the Fury, or the Phoenix, but of course Gardner Douglas, an XTR, and a few others were lurking in the background, so it was time to do some high level requirements.

No comments: