Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Kit Car Requirements

Here are some of the requirements I wanted from the new kit, there are a lot more reasons, but these are ones which I actively looked for:

  • A lightweight, Colin chapman-esque sports car: Simplicate, then add lightness. I'm looking for a very light car, I don't need many creature comforts, but it should give me some basic comfort, everything else is surplus to my requirements. It must be very focussed.
  • Four seconds for 0-100Kph. Acceleration is very important, it comes generally through lightweight design, this is a very important target though, as it will make it one of the fastest cars around.
  • Max speed at least 180Kph. My MX5 is electronically limited here, and to be honest i rarely get the opportunity to drive this quickly. What I want is something that is fun at slower speeds too.
  • Driveable on the motorway, I may use this car to go to work and back, so it must be capable of cruising.
  • Very lightweight ideally no more than 500KG with me in the car (I weigh 120kg, so its going to be tight, or i need a diet.)
  • Two seats. I don't want a single seater.
  • A screamer, or a thumper, nothing in between. So in a nutshell its a bike engine, or its six or more cylinders.
  • It should look like a sports car. I don't want something that looks like a super car, nor do I want something which looks mundane.
  • It should be functional, but also cosmetically elegant.
  • It must have a windscreen, whilst I'll probably wear a helmet regardless, its nice not to have to, and despite the aero screen making a big difference, there is too much wind at higher speeds, and with a helmet i end up with a red forehead after a few hours due to the pressure.
  • I must be able to use the car in most weather, so the option of roof or hardtop should be an option. A heater would be nice in the winter time.
  • It should be a proven design I've built one car from existing design and de-bodged most of Mr Champions dodgy bits, it would be nice not to have to do it a second time around.
  • I must fit comfortably. I'm quite a big bloke with wide shoulders, i need something relatively spacious, especially if its got a body to go on.

No comments: