Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Broken Diff

For a while I've been wearing earplugs in the office, and quite often in the car too, its pretty noisy with the roof down, and with the roof up, it isnt so quiet either. Ayway somewhere on the way to work it must have started whining like crazy, the diff made constant clunking noises, generally sounded funky, which I assumed was due to the clutch or torsen unit.

On leaving the office it sounded like a tractor with a straight cut gearbox, I was amazed it made it home. Upon removing the diff (Diff bolts to PPF were tight, everything else came off easily) and examining it, a tooth was missing from the pinion gear, which I found at the bottom of the casing. Everything else seemed ok, but obviously this wont happen on its own. I suspect bearings have worn out allowing too much lash.
At first, couldn't find anything broken until slowly rotating it around i noticed the missing tooth. Nothing obvious had fallen out when i drained the oil, but a scrape around the bottom of the housing revealed the missing tooth:
There was no other broken bits I could see. I got a new diff from Autolink in the UK, its a 1.6 viscous LSD, it works well and is more predictible than the torsen, but with much less power on oversteer at the loss of grip of course. I now find the inside wheel spins quite a lot when exiting tight corners hard whereas before i would get the full power down or slide gently out. Its completely silent though, no clunking so far which is a big bonus.

No comments: