Thursday, March 19, 2009

Video Improvements

The wiring for the in car video was becoming a pain in the ass, so I tidied it up. The biggest issue was that the switching box, that enables me to switch cameras front/rear has 2 cables going in the back, and a big cable coming out the side, it has 2 channels that I don't use and was generally just the wrong shape/size for the job.

I opened it up, as its basically just a switch inside, and removed the output wire, and then resoldered the connectors on the rear so that they are switched, and used one of the spare inputs as a new output.

This worked great, except the switch melted when I soldered it. I didn't notice this of course until it was back together again, so I had to open it up again and replace it with a toggle switch. It now works perfectly.


I then mounted this back within easy reach, just forward of the handbrake, under the gearstick, I can now flick it pretty easily without moving my hand far from the wheel.

The next thing to sort out was the power wiring, I have the cigar lighter, intercom, and cameras powered from the same feed, and it was getting a bit untidy, so i cut it out, made a new mini-loom, and refitted it.  Whilst I was at it, I routed the power cables through the transmission tunnel which in turn made it even tidier.

This left me with a tidier installation for the permanent cables, but the DVR goes in and out, and currently gets thrown in the foot well or the passengers lap, this wasn't so practical so I made a holder which I mounted below leg level in the passenger foot well.


I made this by first making a template based on the DVR, the DVR has cables coming out of one corner, in different directions, so i let this protrude from the top, the rest is covered up.  


I then cut the template out of aluminium using snips and bent it into a box shape using the vice and various hammers.

Drilled it.

 
Covered it in some carbon fibre vinyl sticky stuff for added bling, and mounted it.

The wiring still needs tidied up, but this can be done with some cable ties, the only loose cables now, are ones which are removable.

No comments: