Saturday, March 7, 2009

More Progress

I managed to find a 1/2" drill, and bored out the spacers for the shocks, they now fit perfectly.  I mounted the shocks, but the rear shocks fouled the suspension bracket, so I had to grind the brackets down a bit using the die grinder.

Once ground down, they fit perfectly, and look rather good.

I then started on the braking system, I fitted the master cylinders, and tried to work out the reservoirs.  I had two large reservoirs, and a mounting bracket I was hoping to use these, but they are too tall, and will foul the steering.  I will order shorter ones from rally design the next time I put an order through.  

I want to avoid using rubber hose where possible, so I'm using braided flexible hose for the low pressure line between the reservoir and the M/C.  I got these from rally design, they are way too long though, so I cut them down to size.

The first step is to cut the pipe the right length, a smooth cut is required, and it must be straight else the olive wont fit.  Goodrich/earls/etc fittings are all re-usable, I always replace the olive, as its basically the thing that is holding it all together, but in theory you can reuse those too.  I find using some tape around the cutting face stops the braiding from fraying.

Once you have a straight edge, slip over the locking nut, its easier to do this before you take the tape off, then push on the olive, its a tight fit, so you need to push quite hard, but not too hard you damage the lining, or the olive.

Then the main connector slides into the tube until it meets the olive, then the nut is tightened up tight.  

The finished lines fully fitted look rather good.   The reservoirs are designed to go into a concave fitting, and seal through the fitting rather than the thread.  This causes a problem when mounting the reservoirs, as they do not have sufficient thread to put a lock nut on.  With the fitting secured, there is about 1mm of free shaft.  In order to secure it, i used a plastic washer which is compressed down to the right size as the nut is tightened up and it seems to be doing a good job.


I then fitted the pedals, I can't fit the bias bar, because i need some lock nuts for the master cylinder pushrods, of course, these are UNC thread, and here in continental europe, they are about as easy to find as rocking horse poo.


No comments: