Thursday, December 25, 2008

Mad Dogs and Englishmen

Got the seven back yesterday, Mischa looked a bit surprised when I said it was going in the back of the van, but my patented trick worked.  Spent some time today in the garage, first job was to fix some minor things I wasn't happy with.  The clutch pedal was sticking way too far backwards meaning it felt too far forward and had way too much movement, so i adjusted  the lash so that it sits in line with the break pedal.

I'm not sure what Tim did with the throttle, but it was way too stiff, so i moved the adjuster to increase the leverage, and removed one of the springs.  

The alternator wasn't working any more for some reason, i think when I cleaned and painted it I disturbed something, so i took it out, cleaned all the contacts, and wiggled everything and now its fine.  

I let the car warm up for a while to check that it wasn't going to overheat, the fan kicked in, cooled it down and worked well, partly i expect down to the low temperature.  There was a lot of popping and spitbacks, the manifold was leaking a little on the exhaust, so I tightened up the bolts and it made a bit of a difference, then I noticed that some fuel was dripping down from the O-rings between manifold and carbs, tightened them up and it made a bit of a difference, but not much.  I also noticed that the air filters were quite soaking in fuel, not a good sign.

Went out for a quick drive, I'd forgotten just how addictive the car is, the rebuilt engine is a *lot* better, much more responsive.  The idle is surging a little and needs some love, but its pretty sorted for the most part. I'll need to adjust the bias on the brakes again with the new calipers its way too much to the front.

Brought the car back and noticed some oil dripping, it looks like there is stuff coming out of the breather and dipstick so i've tightened up the connections and we'll see what happens.



No comments: