Thursday, August 6, 2009

Fuel Injection

Decided to go for Megasquirt and bike throttle bodies on the seven.  Whilst fitting this I will solve the oil leak.  This is a nice project, and saves faffing around with new engines.  Should increase fuel economy.

I've had some issues with the seven over the last few hundred miles, they are:

  • Grinding noise I can't place that I'm sure never used to happen, possibly from rear wheel, bearing perhaps.
  • Starter motor failing - it grinds now as well as jams, so need a replacement or recondition this one.
  • Oil leaking out of oil pump - seems to have a crack somewhere, very annoying as its new.
  • Oil leaking out of sump - noticed some spots on the ground before i'd actually started the engine so can only assume its leaking out the sump somewhere.
  • Oil possibly leaking out of main seal - need to confirm this.

I want to get the car ship shape for a road trip this year, planning on using bike throttle bodies and megasquirt. For the conversion I will need:

  • Fuel Pump - generic injection pump, 8mm push on tails if possible.
  • Pre-pump filter - sytec generic one
  • Swirl Pot - low pressure feed in, no return (will get one blanked off in case it causes problems.) return from regulator, feed to high pressure pump.
  • Throttle bodies - not sure which ones yet, preferably individual units with 38mm bore and largish injectors, single butterflies and a sensible looking airbox.
  • Manifold - I will hopefully use my existing one if I can.
The existing DCOE manifold will be cut down, I will then make the ends match the diameter of the hose required to connect the two, if needed I will make some ali inserts that are completely round if I can't get a seal.  I will use alutight or other ali weld to seal the joint. 

I want to use a throttle body with built in regulator, vacuum take off, and TPS.

Needs to be done in the next 6 weeks or so.

No comments: