Friday, July 24, 2009

More Ordering

The bodywork has been taking its time, actually, that's not quite correct, the body work was ready about 3 weeks after I ordered it, however as a prerequisite for fitting the bodywork, i need to fit both the fuel tank, and the drive shafts.

The drive shafts are needed so that the wheels will stay attached to the hubs, which I feel is important so that I can sit the car on the ground at the correct ride height and make sure everything lines up as I want it.

The fuel tank needs to go on before the bodywork, as its a complete pig to get in and out with the body work on.

Chris got started on the fuel tank this week, and the drive shafts have been cut and shut, but not welded yet, so it looks like its going to be mid next week before they arrive. The result is that I've not had much to do on the car for a while other than little jobs. As it looks like its almost ready now, I've ordered some more bits that I'll need.

I ordered the prop shafts, I had a chat with Dunning and Fairbank, they were very helpful and returned my call very quickly which made me feel loved. I put an order in for two shafts, the front one between the Sprocket Adaptor and the Quaife Reversing box is 383mm. The one between the Quaife Reversing box and the Freelander Diff is 755mm long. The Quaife box and the Sprocket Adaptor use the Ford "English" diff flange dimensions, the freelander is a different but well used size and the flanges are available off the shelf. The rear prop shaft has a TRT Tube in it which absorbes some of the spikes in torque when changing gear and results in less wear when changing gear.

Both props have about 51mm of movement, so if I decided I need to lower or move the engine for the bodywork it will still fit.

I also ordered the bends from the cooling system from SFS Performance, their prices are reasonable and do all their manufacturing on site. Their turnaround time for Orange hoses is around a week.

I needed an additional T piece to plumb in the input for the oil cooler, some hose, adaptors, and a fuel pressure regulator, so I ordered them from Demon Tweeks.

No comments: