Sunday, February 1, 2009

Feckery Washers

Took Paul out for a drive in the car today for pancakes nearby, had a nice drive out there, flat spot i'm sure was getting worse, but could have been my paranoia, had a nice walk and a snack before heading home, got abotu 10KM from Utrecht when funny noises and a lack of power started to become apparent.  The noise sounded like something rubbing on a cambelt, as the XFlow doesn't have a cambelt it was slightly worrying.

A bit further out and I joked that it felt like it was running on two cylinders, when it got to about 6000rpm i got all 4, but things were definitly going badly wrong.  Limped back to the garage in one piece, and imagine my surprise when I took the bonnet off to find that the front fecking carb had fallen off. So much for thackery washers absorbing the vibrations.   How I laughed that I was glad to have the redundancy of 
twin Webber's, I guess that explains why the idle kept going funky.


I'll reassemble them this time a bit tighter and with a few gallons of thread-lock.  At least I don't need to worry about bore-wash this time.

On a happier note, the oil cooler is making a big difference to how quickly things cool down, the temperature rises to 100, the fan kicks in and brings it right down to 90 before clicking off, when moving its stays bang on 80C, and if I turn the fan on manually, it keeps it at 80. 

Took some videos with the garage-cam, hopefully they will turn out ok.

No comments: