Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Crossflow Fettling

The other day I noticed a bit of oil spray around the engine block on the offside at the bottom where the breather was breathing, and around the bottom of the dipstick tube.  I originally had the breather going into a catch tank, but it was fiddly and I found that there was too much oil churning around and it was a bit of a pain so had left it off.  

I decided that wasn't working either, so tapped the rocker cover with a 1/2" barb, and ran a hose from there to the breather, so the bottom breather vents into the rocker cover, the rocker cover then vents into the atmosphere via a small filter.  I also secured the bottom of the dipstick tube with a hose clamp, and again at the top to stop any leaks or the dipstick vibrating loose or being pushed out by the pressure.  

On closer inspection today it looks like the bodge I made for the fuel pump blanking plate when burton sent me two breathers instead of one of each is leaking so I'll go and dig out a blanking plate properly this time.

When I got home, the parcel had arrived from weber bits, and even better they were the right ones, so I'll get these fitted and see if that cures the leak.

No comments: