Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Engine Rebuild

I stripped the crossflow into component form, leaving the pistons and crank shaft well alone though. The bores are showing no signs of wear, but there was rather a lot of carbon deposits. I de-coked the engine as best I could and cleaned it thoroughly including the oil channels and water galleries. The kent 244 cam was installed and timed, using a timing disk.

The short block and components ready for rebuild

Quite a lot of crap on the inside, but no leaky head gasket, bores are in good shape.

I'm starting to see mild valve seat recession which is alarming, so I expect that by this time next year I will need to have new seats fitted, at the same time I will fit hardened seats which mean I can run pure unleaded. I may use this as a chance to rebuild one of the spare blocks and heads to give me a running spare.

There is some valve seat recession present, next year i'll probably get the head converted to unleaded

I fitted new valve springs and fitted stem seals, the originals do not fit as they foul the internal spring, ones from an MG metro do fit however so these were installed. I fitted a new rear oil seal and gaskets and should hopefully now have a leak free engine.

All bolts where assembled with threadlock. I also fitted a T-piece in the top cooling hose to insert the Coolant temperature sensor for the microsquirt box.

Alternator bracket lockwired as well as thread locked - Course threads are a real pain...

I must now weld up the sump, or find a new one before putting it back in the car. Once in the car i'll need to run it at 2500rpm for about 20 minutes to run in the new cam, and at the same torque down the head again.

No comments: