Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Minor Repairs and Upgrades

There are a number of minor issues I've been wanting to address for a while, since the last rolling road session where the coolant pipe split, I've been running with a far from optimal cooling pipe as its above the filler and needs a 90 Degree bend in it. I purchased a 90 degree hose connector, (its plastic but I've used these previously without any issues so here's hoping.) and plumbed it in again with the bleed tee just above the manifold. I was having issues with pushing out the fluid into the expansion tank and not sucking it back in, so i bought a new filler cap (Didnt solve the issue.) and I noticed that the fan wasn't working because the wire had broken at the earth point, so I replaced that too. I shall also upgrade to a profan just to be on the safe side, it keeps cool enough but i expect in really hot weather its going to struggle, especially in heavy stop start traffic.

Bleed Tee was above filler level

Temporary hose...

And got it as low as possible

Final replacement, could benefit from a new outlet as the current outlet on the manifold is at 45Degrees where 90 would be better.

I bought a cheapo fuel filter to use as a plenum for the megajolt and installed that in preference to the walbro filter that I shall now use in the fury as originally intended.

The posh fuel filter was being used as a plenum

It didn't make sense to use this filter as a plenum as it was an order of magnitude more expensive than this one:

I need it for the Fury, so I swapped it for a cheaper one.

The spring had come off the throttle assembly, I expect I put it on wrong last time round and have refitted it, this time also with a cable tie so that it can't move around.

The spring came off, im not sure how but I expect it was incorrectly fitted.

En-Route to stoneleigh I found out that the alternator was totally borked, no major casualties except an embarrassing stall on the M25 which led to some stress as it wouldn't start again, and of course a flat battery at stoneleigh. Mike sorted me out with a new one and its working perfectly.

The new alternator works well

There are a few minor things I want to resolve:

* Intercom, when driving you cant really talk with the passenger, and I'd like to be able to talk to Paul on the way to lemans. I have a starcom advance but the headsets are wonky so I'll get an aviation style one as well as an in helmet one, I'd like to use the ones from Peltor, but will need to either make an adaptor or just use the starcom ones.
* I broke an aerocatch (What is it with bonnets and alternators at stoneleigh?) and will need to replace it. I'd also like to put one in the top of the bonnet as it moves around a lot.
* I need to set up the brake balance better - its too far forward now.
* I also want to paint the inside floor, but now it looks like a farmers field.
* There is an oil leak either (hopefully) from the seal on the gearbox, or worse from a seal on the engine which I'd like to replace.
* On the more long term wishlist i'd like to shorten the steering rack to reduce bump steer, and put a quick rack in.

Despite quite a few rather annoying problems at stoneleigh, the car is running great. Paul and I covered some serious distance, in poor weather, on poorer roads (Single track country lanes.) without batting an eyelid, starting first time, every time. We both had smiles on our faces the whole time, and its surprisingly comfortable. We both gave it a pretty hard thrashing, On the way back paul asked what the red light on the dashboard was that kept flashing - I explained it was the shift light, but that didnt stop it staying on for extended periods of time. I turned off the A14 a good hour before Harwich and went cross country. You have to be seriously careful when driving hard as its a fine line between powering out of a corner, and powering into a ditch. The rear end kicked out a few times although very progressively, but I get the impression if you aren't paying attention it will really bite.

IMG_0827

Paul and I were really giving it some through the country lanes, the good news about slick derbyshire countryside is you rarely get the chance to go fast enough to get a speeding ticket, and despite the odd tractor and local, they are usually pretty quiet which makes for fun driving.

They are rather muddy though, and the car was completely caked, not to mention the occupants.

No comments: